If you are interested in serving as a city council member, please contact City Hall for specific information.
General Elections are held in May.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can run for a Mayor/Councilmember seat?
To run for office in a general law city in Texas, you must, among other requirements:
• be a citizen of the United States; and
• be at least 18 years old on the date of the election; and
• have lived in the State of Texas for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the filing date for the election, and in your city or ward for at least 6 months prior to the filing date for the election; and
• be registered to vote in the county you live in; and
• never been convicted of a felony.
Do I have to register to vote in Cherokee County?
Yes, once you move to a new county you must do a change of address with your local election office. You may pick up a registration card at city hall, visit your local election office at http://www.co.cherokee.tx.us/ips/cms/othercountyoffices/elections.html
or registered online at https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/vrapp/index.asp
Where do the residence in Wells (PCT 2) vote?
Early Elections are held at The River Church 595 S. Marcus Alto, Texas 75925
General Elections are held on elections day at First Baptist CHurcj 629 Rusk Ave. Wells, Texas 75976
City Elections are held on election day at Wells ISD Cafeteria 100 Bonita Wells, Texas 75976